Guide to Streaming ‘Star Wars’ on Netflix
Welcome to the What’s on Netflix guide to whether or not Star Wars is on Netflix. We’ll cover all the movies and series streaming on Netflix across the world including the prequel movies, sequel movies, original trilogy as well as the lesser-known titles such as the animated titles and spinoffs.
The Star Wars universe spans multiple decades and comes with a deep and loved story that’s known to millions, if not billions, around the world. In recent years, Disney has taken over the license and thanks to a deal Netflix struck back in 2012, the newest theatrical releases are coming to Netflix in some regions sooner than ever.
Here’s your guide to Star Wars on Netflix.
Last updated (12/09/2017)
Star Wars Movies on Netflix
Original Trilogy (1977 – 1983)
The movie trilogy that started everything. The first three films released within six years of each other was truly ahead of their time in regards to their movie special effects and storytelling and it’s the reason why most of you got into the franchise in the first place.
- Star Wars Episode IV – A New Hope (1977) – Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, Belgium and Netherlands
- Star Wars Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back (1980) – Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, Belgium and Netherlands
- Star Wars VI – The Return of the Jedi (1983) -Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, Belgium and Netherlands
Prequel Trilogy (1999 – 2005)
A lot of fans have a lot to say about the prequel trilogy with some merit, but they did successfully introduce millions of millennials (including myself) to the Star Wars universe, and for that I thank them. Using the technology now available to George Lucas he brought the clone wars to life with moderate success.
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999) – Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, Belgium and Netherlands
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002) – Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, Belgium and Netherlands
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005) – Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, Belgium and Netherlands
Sequel Trilogy (2015- 2019)
The sequel trilogy kicked off around The Force Awakens just narrowly missed the Netflix US contract and as a result, isn’t streaming on Netflix US. It is, however, streaming on Netflix in Canada, Australia, Belgium and the Netherlands.
As an added bonus, Netflix Canada also has a special French version of the movie available on its Netflix.
The next movie in the sequel trilogy, The Last Jedi, will be arriving in cinemas in December 2017 and will be covered by the Disney contract. This means we can expect to see The Last Jedi added to Netflix in summer 2018 on Netflix in the US. It’ll also likely arrive on Netflix Canada a little earlier too!
Anthology Movies (2016 onwards)
To coincide with the sequel trilogy, Disney announced it would release a Star Wars story every other year. The first of these stories was Rogue One which plugs the gap and takes us directly into Episode IV. Rogue One first released back in 2016 and was added to Netflix Canada and the US exclusively in the summer of 2017.
The next Star Wars story scheduled for release in 2018 will be a Han Solo movie. As of right now, Canada is almost definitely going to get the movie. The United States is definitely not going to be getting the Han Solo movie. This is because the movie will release in 2018 but because Disney will be pulling out of Netflix on January 1st, 2019, it won’t be arriving onto the streaming service.
Animated Star Wars Movies & Series
Star War’s animated shows and movies are fantastic and are essential viewing for any Star Wars fan.
The first animated title for Star Wars released in 2008 in the form of Star Wars: The Clone Wars and was later adapted as a TV series. Star Wars: The Clone Wars movie is available on Netflix in Canada, USA, and Mexico as well as some Southern American countries.
The Clone Wars series is available exclusively on Netflix USA where it also picked up the previously unreleased season exclusively too. You can also find six seasons of the show available on Netflix in Canada, Mexico, and other Southern American countries.
Star Wars Rebels is the Disney XD series which started airing in 2014. Sadly, the series is only available in countries other than the US. These countries are currently streaming the first few seasons of Star Wars Rebels: Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Denmark, Finland, Mexico, Norway, and Sweden.
Other Star Wars Titles on Netflix
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales Vol. 1 – Available on Netflix Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles – Available on Netflix in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden, and Mexico.
- Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars (2014) – Available on Netflix in Argentina, Brazil, Ecuador, and Mexico
- Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed (2007) – Available on Netflix in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, and Mexico.