Space Force is the new Netflix Original comedy that’s been curated to specifically try to recreate the success of The Office from NBC. Here’s what we know so far about season 1 of Space Force as of October 2019.
In desperate need of its own big sitcom, Netflix is arguably current reliant on two sitcoms from yesteryear propping up its library in the genre. With both The Office and Friends scheduled to leave, its been actively building its own library with current and future titles. Hoping to strike the same success as The Office, Netflix has hired Greg Daniels who produced The Office and Steve Carrell who played Michael Scott for this project.
What’s Space Force on Netflix about?
Netflix first announced that Space Force was a thing back in January 2019 where it takes you through the main premise of the series.
On June 18, 2019 the Federal Government announced the creation of a 6th major division of the United States Armed Forces.
The goal of the new branch is “to defend satallites from attack” and “perform other space-related tasks” or something.
This is the story of the men and women who have to figure it out.
Sticking to a familiar format to The Office, it’s said Space Force is going to be filmed as a workplace sitcom although we’re not sure if there’ll be an interview segment.
The series is taking jibes at President Donald Trump who announced the space force but was not very specific with his exact plans.
.@SteveCarell will star in a new workplace comedy series he co-created with #TheOffice’s Greg Daniels about the people tasked with creating a sixth branch of the armed services: the Space Force! pic.twitter.com/6GEFNgP18w
— See What's Next (@seewhatsnext) January 16, 2019
Who’s involved in Space Force?
As the above suggests, the creators of The Office is involved with the project. That includes Greg Daniels who served as executive producer on the show and the key person behind adapting the UK version of The Office for American audiences.
Steve Carrell is the only announced cast member thus far with THR reporting his salary is expected to be $1 million an episode.
In July, it was reported that Katheleen Felix Hager (Veep) was working on the show. She teased as early as June by Tweeting to Nasa asking for some tips. Notably, too, she’ll be involved in the other project with Greg Daniels headed to Amazon named Upload. We’ll keep an eye on that production as the two will likely be closely linked in terms of personnel.
I follow @NASA now, and I have lots of questions. Anyone there available for a q and a? Many thanks from a curious costume designer.
— Kathleen Felix Hager (@kathleenhager) June 22, 2019
In September 2019, Deadline blew the lid off on who’s going to be starring in Space Force.
Among the announced new cast members are the following:
- John Malkovich who recently appeared in Birdbox on Netflix and is set to appear in The New Pope. Will play the role of Dr. Adrian Mallory, head science advisor.
- Ben Schwartz who is mostly known for his role on Parks and Recreation. Will play F. Tony Scarapidccui – media consultant
- Dana Silvers is known for Bookmaster and MA. Will play Erin Naird, a student who transferred to remote military base.
- Tawny Newsome featured in Brockmire. Will play Angela Ali – a helicopter pilot.
- Jimmy O.Yan will recur and has been featured in Silicon Valley.
- Alex Sparrow will also recur and has featured in The Vatican Tapes
In October 2019, three more cast members were announced by Deadline. These include Noah Emmerich, Fred Willard, and Jessica St. Clair.
— What's on Netflix (@whatonnetflix) October 23, 2019
- Noah Emmerich will play Kick Gabaston, Chief of Staff of the U.S. Air Force
- Fred Willard will play Fred Naird will play Steve Carrell’s character’s father
- Jessica St. Clair will play Kelly King a civilian contractor.
How many episodes will Space Force season 1 have?
At the moment it’s expected that 10 episodes will make up Space Force season 1.
When will Space Force season 1 be on Netflix?
There’s no date for Space Force as of yet.
We have had confirmed that Space Force is due out on Netflix at some point in 2020. We have, however, heard rumors that the series could debut as early as February 2020.
Other Space Force News
- Filming officially started on October 1st as announced with the first onset picture with Steve Carrell.
- In November 2019, writer Yael Green was attached to the project who has previously written an episode of Angie Tribeca. He’s set to have written episode 7.
It’s worth noting that all the names involved in the Netflix project also have projects with other streaming providers too. Greg Daniels is currently working on a series for Amazon Prime called Upload. Steve Carrell is working and starring in a
sitcom drama for Apple TV+ called The Morning Show due out at the end of the year.
Howard Klein doesn’t have any future projects announced but just got off from working on Jessica Jones season 3.
Unlike a lot of shows coming to Netflix, this show is already building up some hype early on.
yall im so excited for the space force netflix show its not even funny
— ella (@helloits_ella) July 4, 2019
Finally, we’ll leave you with a small taster given that Steve Carrell recently played the role of a NASA astronaut on an SNL episode.