A Christmas Carol is a famous tale from Charles Dickens and has been retold many times throughout the years in different formats. We’re going to cover which ones are streaming on Netflix whether it be the Muppets Christmas Carol, the 2009 animated Christmas Carol starring Jim Carrey or even some of the older live action versions too.
Although each movie will inevitably add its own twist, the overarching story is that Ebenezer Scrooge is visited by the three ghosts of Christmas to make him learn the error in his ways and ultimately put him back on the right track.
Muppet’s Christmas Carol (1992)
One of the most famous remakes is the 1992 Muppets version featuring all of your favorite Muppet characters. It’s done as a musical where Kermit asks for a day off for Christmas and his boss played by Michael Kaine says no. He’s then visited by the two old men and a cast of other Muppets to teach him the error of his ways.
The movie is only streaming on Netflix in British Overseas Territories, South America and a select few European countries.
Disney’s A Christmas Carol (2009)
The most recent high-profile remake was in 2009 from Disney who decided to retell the story with an animated Jim Carrey at the helm. It was well received around the world. It’s visually stunning and probably the definitive version to watch if you have the chance to.
Again, if you’re in the US, UK or Canada, you’ll be unable to watch this movie on Netflix. For those in British Overseas Territories, South America, many European countries you can stream the 2009 remake.
Other Christmas Carol Remakes
- The 1997 animated movie is only streaming on Netflix in Japan.
- All American Christmas Carol (2013) swaps the format and has a drinking mother be the Scrooge of this story. It’s certainly a modern retelling but probably one of the worst remakes. It’s currently streaming on Netflix in Canada and the United States.
- In the United Kingdom and Ireland, you’re able to stream the Black Adder A Christmas Carol special first released in 1988.
- A Christmas Carol (1999) starring Patrick Stewart is streaming on Netflix in France, Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, and France.
- A Christmas Carol (1984) is available on Netflix in the Netherlands, Spain and Nordic regions.