One of the first releases of the Netflix acquired Millarworld Universe is the TV series Jupiter’s Legacy. Based on the comics, the first season is likely due for release in 2020 but we already know plenty about the new season. Here’s what we know so far about season 1 of Jupiter’s Legacy coming to Netflix.
Jupiter’s Legacy is an upcoming Netflix Original superhero-drama based on the comic of the same name by creator Mark Millar. Amongst the Millarworld comics many regard Jupiters Legacy and subsequent prequel Jupiter’s Circle as some of Millar’s best work. The superhero drama will be the first title from the Millarworld comics to release on Netflix.
Directing the exciting series is the former Daredevil writer, producer, and director Steven D.Knight who has signed an overall deal with Netflix.
What is the plot of Jupiter’s Legacy?
In the 1930s the first generation of Superheroes rose to prominence after receiving powers. Fast forward to the present day the original heroes are revered as the elder guard. Meanwhile, the children of the fabled heroes are struggling to live up to their parents legacy and legendary feats.
Is Netflix the owner of Jupiter’s Legacy?
To put it simply, yes Netflix is the owner of Jupiter’s Legacy! Not only do they own Jupiter’s Legacy they own all the current Millarworld properties that aren’t already licensed out (The Kingsman, Kick-Ass). This was confirmed in a tweet by the man himself Mark Millar!
Note to journalists: Netflix bought Millarworld outright like Disney bought Marvel. Jupiter’s Legacy is 100% owned by Netflix like Disney owns Iron Man. Not a licensing deal :)
— Mark Millar (@mrmarkmillar) February 11, 2019
So just to clarify Millarworld is to Netflix like Marvel is to Disney! All future Millarworld titles will be developed exclusively by Netflix.
Who are the Characters of Jupiter’s Legacy?
- Sheldon Sampson / The Utopian: Legendary leader of the superhero team known as The Union. After his long and illustrious career, the world he knew is gone. No longer recognizing the world of today The Utopian struggles to adapt to modern life and the needs of his family.
- Walter Sampson / Brainwave: The older brother of Sheldon ‘The Union’ Sampson. Walter is the darker of the 2 brothers. Intellectually superior and with vast cunning, Walter is not afraid to get his hands dirty and bloodied.
- Grace Sampson / Lady Liberty: The wife of Sheldon and mother of Chloe and Brandon. Lady Liberty is one of the strongest heroes on the planet and was not afraid to disagree with Sheldon. Grace is the rock that Sheldon needs as he comes to terms with the modern and violent world of today.
- Chloe Sampson: Chloe is the rebellious daughter of Sheldon and Grace. Unafraid to forge her own path, Chloe stands against everything her parents stood for and sworn to protect.
- Brandon Sampson / Paragon: The son of Sheldon and Grace and heir apparent to the mantle of The Utopian. Brandon is in training to replace his father as the leader of The Union, with such a great weight upon him he is struggling to live up to his father’s legend.
- Fitz Small / The Flare: Former active Superhero of The Union. Despite his career-ending injury Fitz is still a valued member of the team. Known as the heart and soul of The Union, Fitz is the glue holding the team together as they face an increasingly dangerous world.
- Jess Salgueiro as Shockwave/Timone
- George Hutchence / Skyfox: Former best friend of Sheldon and former ally of The Union. Since turning on his friends and team Skyfox is now the greatest supervillain in the world. Believing that his friends betrayed him Skyfox plots his revenge.
What is Mark Millar’s role in Jupiter’s Legacy?
Mark Millar has been assigned a writer for the show along with Brian Gunn, Mark Gunn, and Steven D. DeKnight. Millar is also an executive producer for the show. Considering no one knows the source material better than the creator it’s exciting to know how much involvement Millar has in the show!
Where is production up to for Jupiter’s Legacy?
We have confirmation that filming has officially begun for Jupiter’s Legacy in August 2019.
Filming could last into October 2019 to which a lengthy post-production process can be expected.
We’ve got first looks at set pictures from the Jupiter’s Legacy set right here.
— Toronto Filming (@TOFilming_EM) July 28, 2019
In September 2019, it was announced that Steven S. DeKnight has stepped down from the project. Citing creative differences, the role is vacant until it has been filled. In the report, it was noted that four of the eight episodes have completed filming. It’s also been noted that Steven S. DeKnight is set to have an early exit from his overall Netflix deal.
Is there any hype online surrounding Jupiter’s Legacy?
Overall the hype is still relatively low for now. Once there is more information is released and we know even more about the show we expect the show to start creating a buzz.
One fan is particularly excited to see Matt Lanter in Jupiter’s Legacy.
Omg! You’re going to be in Jupiter’s Legacy? 😍 What a treat!
— Dylan Balde (@dylanbalde) February 12, 2019
Meanwhile, another fan is apprehensive about Jupiter’s Legacy.
Is Jupiter’s Legacy going to be faithful to the source material or is it going to be a complete 180 & have nothing to do with what actually made your books great like Wanted, Kick Ass & The Secret Service??
— Danny Phantom (@BabyBiird) February 11, 2019
After that description, we’re even more intrigued!
The comics are solid, and a big part of Millar’s hot streak there a few years ago. The prequel series Jupiter’s Circle (which I assume will be woven into the show) was like superhero Mad Men &even better than Jupiter’s Legacy, despite not having one of the best artists ever on it
— John Ernenputsch (@jpooch21) February 11, 2019
How many episodes are there of Jupiter’s Legacy?
This is also to be confirmed but due to the nature of Original programming, a minimum of 10 episodes is expected.
What will the run times be for each episode of Jupiter’s Legacy?
Each episode should be between 50 and 60 minutes. While we are waiting for confirmation, most Original series have run times of around one hour.
What is the release date for Jupiter’s Legacy?
A specific date is yet to be announced but we can confirm the series will arrive in 2020. Filming began at the beginning of July so there is still a long way to go, we’re Jupiter’s Legacy to arrive in the Spring or Summer of 2020.
Are you excited for Jupiter’s Legacy? Let us know in the comments below!