One of the first releases of the Netflix acquired Millarworld Universe is the TV series Jupiter’s Legacy. Based on the comics, the first season is likely due for release in 2020 but we already know plenty about the new season. Here’s what we know so far about season one of Jupiter’s Legacy coming to Netflix.
Jupiter’s Legacy is an upcoming Netflix Original superhero-drama based on the comic of the same name by creator Mark Millar. Amongst the Millarworld comics many regard Jupiter’s Legacy and subsequent prequel Jupiter’s Circle as some of Millar’s best work. The superhero drama will be the first title from the Millarworld comics to release on Netflix.
Directing the exciting series is the former Daredevil writer, producer, and director Steven S. DeKnight who has signed an overall deal with Netflix.
What is the plot of Jupiter’s Legacy?
In the 1930s the first generation of Superheroes rose to prominence after receiving powers. Fast forward to the present day, the original heroes are revered as the elder guard. Meanwhile, the children of the fabled heroes are struggling to live up to their parent’s legacy and legendary feats.
In May 2020, Mark Millar confirmed what comics would be covered in the Netflix series. He calls it a “combination” of Jupiter’s Legacy 1 and 2 plus Jupiter’s Circle 1 and 2.
Is Netflix the owner of Jupiter’s Legacy?
To put it simply, yes Netflix is the owner of Jupiter’s Legacy! Not only do they own Jupiter’s Legacy they own all the current Millarworld properties that aren’t already licensed out (The Kingsman, Kick-Ass). This was confirmed in a tweet by the man himself Mark Millar!
Note to journalists: Netflix bought Millarworld outright like Disney bought Marvel. Jupiter’s Legacy is 100% owned by Netflix like Disney owns Iron Man. Not a licensing deal :)
— Mark Millar (@mrmarkmillar) February 11, 2019
So just to clarify Millarworld is to Netflix like Marvel is to Disney! All future Millarworld titles will be developed exclusively by Netflix.
Who are the Characters of Jupiter’s Legacy?
- Sheldon Sampson / The Utopian: Legendary leader of the superhero team known as The Union. After his long and illustrious career, the world he knew is gone. No longer recognizing the world of today The Utopian struggles to adapt to modern life and the needs of his family.
- Walter Sampson / Brainwave: The older brother of Sheldon ‘The Union’ Sampson. Walter is the darker of the 2 brothers. Intellectually superior and with vast cunning, Walter is not afraid to get his hands dirty and bloodied.
- Grace Sampson / Lady Liberty: The wife of Sheldon and mother of Chloe and Brandon. Lady Liberty is one of the strongest heroes on the planet and was not afraid to disagree with Sheldon. Grace is the rock that Sheldon needs as he comes to terms with the modern and violent world of today.
- Chloe Sampson: Chloe is the rebellious daughter of Sheldon and Grace. Unafraid to forge her own path, Chloe stands against everything her parents stood for and sworn to protect.
- Brandon Sampson / Paragon: The son of Sheldon and Grace and heir apparent to the mantle of The Utopian. Brandon is in training to replace his father as the leader of The Union, with such a great weight upon him he is struggling to live up to his father’s legend.
- Fitz Small / The Flare: Former active Superhero of The Union. Despite his career-ending injury Fitz is still a valued member of the team. Known as the heart and soul of The Union, Fitz is the glue holding the team together as they face an increasingly dangerous world.
- Janna Croft / Ghostbeam – Kara Royster will be playing the role of Ghostbeam.
Casting news for Millar World's #JupitersLegacy!
— What's on Netflix (@whatonnetflix) February 19, 2020
- Raikou – Anna Akana is set to play the role of the dual-sworded warrior as revealed by Mark Miller in February 17th, 2020.
— Mark Millar (@mrmarkmillar) February 17, 2020
- Jess Salgueiro as Shockwave/Timone – Jess has recently featured in another superhero series on Amazon called The Boys. This time, however, her character will thankfully not be a stain on the pavement!
- George Hutchence / Skyfox: Former best friend of Sheldon and former ally of The Union. Since turning on his friends and team Skyfox is now the greatest supervillain in the world. Believing that his friends betrayed him Skyfox plots his revenge.
Other Cast Announcements
We also know of some of the other cast members thanks to various IMDb updates. These include:
- Elena Kampouris as Chloe Sampson
- Jhene Erwin as Katherin Morris
- Jennifer De Lucia as Leighton
- Kathryn Davis as Vera
- Tenika Davis as Petra Small
- John Bourgeois as Percy
- Chase Tang as Baryon
- Tyler Mane as Blackstar
- Ian Quinlan as Hutch
What is Mark Millar’s role in Jupiter’s Legacy?
Mark Millar has been assigned a writer for the show along with Brian Gunn, Mark Gunn, and Steven S. DeKnight. Millar is also an executive producer for the show. Considering no one knows the source material better than the creator it’s exciting to know how much involvement Millar has in the show!
Where is production up to for Jupiter’s Legacy?
We have confirmation that filming has officially begun for Jupiter’s Legacy in July 2019.
Filming for the series took place wholly in Toronto, Canada.
The series was filmed under the working title of “Zeus”.
We’ve got first looks at set pictures from the Jupiter’s Legacy set right here.
— Toronto Filming (@TOFilming_EM) July 28, 2019
More video was shot in downtown Toronto during July 2019.
In September 2019, it was announced that Steven S. DeKnight has stepped down from the project citing creative differences.
In late January 2020, Mark Millar tweeted to say that filming had now wrapped on the first season and celebrated in London.
I might have mentioned this before, but we’re doing a little TV series at Netflix called Jupiter’s Legacy and it’s just finished filming. Here’s Mrs Millar and I having dinner in London with one of the leads, the devilishly handsome Ben Daniels. pic.twitter.com/QaU70iqki1
— Mark Millar (@mrmarkmillar) January 23, 2020
Among the directors listed for the first season include:
- Charlotte Brändström (known for Conspiracy of Silence)
- Marc Jobst (known for his work on Netflix’s Daredevil)
- Christopher J. Byrne (known for American Gods)
- Steven S. DeKnight (known for Pacific Rift and Netflix’s Daredevil)
In April 2020, Mark Millar provided an update on production saying that the FX work was continuing to make good progress.
Jupiter's Legacy update! As beautiful FX work on S1 continues I'm just finishing the first volume of the sequel for Thursday. 45 page #1, 26 pages for # 2-5, 35 page #6. An absolute beast, but it's a cracker. You're going to LOVE this comic in the New Year!
— Mark Millar (@mrmarkmillar) April 14, 2020
How many episodes are there of Jupiter’s Legacy?
Eight episodes have been confirmed for the first season of Jupiter’s Legacy.
Thanks to some IMDb updates, we also know some of the names of episode titles:
|Episode Number||Episode Name|
|Episode 3||Painting the Clouds with Sunshine|
|Episode 4||All the Devils are here|
What is the release date for Jupiter’s Legacy?
A specific date is yet to be announced but we can confirm the series will arrive in 2020.
Filming began at the beginning of July so there is still a long way to go and compounded by the fact the problems with production, it may not be until the end of 2020 until it debuts on Netflix.
Other Jupiter’s Legacy News
- A sequel comic book has been confirmed by Mark Millar to release “four weeks after S1 starts streaming”.
Are you excited for Jupiter’s Legacy? Let us know in the comments below!