Stand-up comedy on Netflix isn’t quite as big as it used to be. In recent years (partly by choice but in the past two years without a choice) Netflix has released fewer stand-up specials but has invested in some of the biggest talents while also still giving the up-and-coming talent a shot too.
With 2022 just around the corner and plenty of 2021 still to go, we thought we’d take a look at what comedians are currently announced to be releasing new stand-up specials with the service
For a full list of every Netflix Original stand-up special available on Netflix, head over to our full list that gets automatically updated with brand new specials.
It’s worth noting that there are almost certainly a lot more specials on the way that haven’t been announced yet.
Let’s now get into what stand-up specials are coming to Netflix:
- Aakash Gupta – Indian comedian who has previously set specials with Amazon Prime will jump over to Netflix.
- Ali Wong – Two stand-up specials from Ali Wong are on the way which will join her two other specials on Netflix which are Baby Cobra and Hard Knock Wife.
- Billy Eichner – Known for Parks & Recreation and Billy On The Street, Eichner’s first stand-up special was announced back in 2018 but no news on what’s happening with it since.
- Chris Rock – Returning for his second stand-up special after Tamborine (and the subsequent extended cut release) will be Chris Rock. The special is the second of two ordered from Netflix back in 2016.
- Dave Chappelle – Netflix and Dave Chappelle are planning a fifth Netflix special which was filmed in August 2021.
- Gabriel Iglesias – This will be Gabriel’s third Netflix special and is dubbed The Comedy Event. The comedian also starred in the now-canceled series, Mr. Iglesias.
- Kapil Sharma – Known for hosting Comedy Nights with Kapil, this Indian comic will come to Netflix with a brand new special.
- Ms. Pat – Patricia Williams first debuted in Netflix’s stand-up series The Degenerates but will be getting a full solo show in due course.
- Nicole Byer – Scheduled to premiere in late 2021, the host of Netflix’s baking show Nailed It! will present an hour-long special that is being filmed at New York’s Grammercy Theatre on September 5th.
— Jason Lederman (@Lederman) September 6, 2021
- Ricky Gervais – Supernature will be Ricky Gervais’s second stand-up special after Humanity. It’s already sold out and is touring around the UK in 2021. Another stand-up special is expected from the comedian after Supernature given his overall deal with Netflix and numerous hints.
- Russell Howard – British comedian who presents a topical show on Sky One will return to his roots and present a new special called Respite due out in 2022.
- The Standups (Season 3) – Announced in early July 2021, another batch of The Standups is on the way. The show gives a 30-minute set to up-and-coming stand-up comedians. The new season will feature Naomi Ekperigin, Mark Normand, Melissa Villasenor, Brian Simpson, Dusty Slay and Janelle James.
— Netflix Is A Joke (@NetflixIsAJoke) July 7, 2021
- Tom Segura – A new special from Tom Segura will make his fourth on the platform after Ball Hog, Disgraceful and Mostly Stories.
Before we depart, back in the summer of 2019, Netflix announced a project that would honor comedy legends but that project has yet to see the light of day.