The Punisher Season 1: Release Date, Casting, Plot and role in The Defenders?
Although it wasn’t initially planned, Netflix announced shortly after the second season launch of Daredevil, that the character would be getting his own spinoff movie. With Marvel releasing two seasons a year up until now, that makes it quite tight when it comes to a release date, but as we discuss, it could be bucking the trend and coming earlier than we anticipated.
Here’s everything we know about season 1 of The Punisher.
Season 1 Plot
Some have argued that there isn’t much plot left given it was extensively covered in Daredevil season 2. With that said, there’s a lot of intricate details that were missed out or simply sped up. It’s likely we’ll cover all the events that we have in season 1 and get a full official origin story of The Punisher.
In case you didn’t know, The Punisher is a vigilante hero existing in the same universe as the MCU and The Defenders. While he doesn’t have powers per say, he certainly has the power to mow people down using an assortment of weapons.
He was certainly the most memorable part of Daredevil with some epic action scenes with the prison sequence being among the best.
Casting for The Punisher Season 1
The cast has all but been confirmed for the first season. There’s still no word as to whether or not Daredevil will be making an appearance, even if it’s just for a cameo. We do know that Karen Page will be making an appearance, though, as her old role as a reporter.
- Jon Bernthal as Frank Castle AKA The Punisher
- Ben Barnes as Billy Russo
- Ebon Moss-Bachrach as Micro
- Amber Revah as Dinah Madani
- Daniel Webber as Lewis Walcott
- Jason R. Moore as Curtis Hoyle
- Paul Schulze as Rawlins
- Jaime Ray Newman as Sarah Lieberman
- Michael Nathanson as Sam Stein
The Punisher Season 1 Release Date
Let’s quickly go over what’s confirmed and then we’ll see where The Punisher fits into everything. Here’s the current schedule for the Marvel series including the past and future releases.
- 2015 – Daredevil Season 1 and Jessica Jones Season 1
- 2016 – Daredevil Season 2 and Luke Cage Season 1
- 2017 – Iron Fist Season 1, The Defenders Season 1 and The Punisher Season 1
- 2018 – Daredevil Season 3 and Jessica Jones Season 2
- 2019 – Luke Cage Season 2
As you can see, The Defenders and The Punisher are both scheduled for 2017. Given there needs to be ample buildup with marketing before, we’re going to guess they’ll be fairly evenly spread out. That means we’ll likely get another season in the summer and another in the fall.
Updated (04/09/2017): The Defenders has been announced to have a summer 2017 release date which leaves The Punisher to likely release this fall!
We may end up getting The Punisher showing up twice this year though, as it’s not been confirmed whether or not he’ll be playing any role in The Defenders. He’s not currently listed within the casting but may be a surprise, we’ll have to wait and see.
- The TV series began production in October 2017
- Thirteen episodes have been confirmed
- The show is filmed and set in New York City
- A Punisher series was supposed to air on Fox but didn’t happen
Is The Punisher movie on Netflix?
The 2004 movie on the same subject matter stars John Travolta and Samantha Mathis and sadly, it’s available on Netflix. If you’re in the United States, The Punisher is on Netflix. It’s also available on Netflix in many of the Caribbean islands, Canada, Ireland and Norway too.