It would appear that the BBC library is up for renewal on Netflix as over a dozen BBC titles on Netflix are scheduled for removal. Removals could include Luther, Wallander, Fawlty Towers, The Office, Shetland and the original House of Cards series.
Every year, content providers such as the BBC renews and refreshes their content on Netflix. In the BBC’s case, it’s always been towards the beginning of the year. A lot of the BBC documentaries come up for renewal each year in August. Other big renewal dates for BBC content has been April 2016 and February 2017.
This year, it’d appear a number of BBC shows are up for renewal in late March and early April.
We must stress at this point that this does not mean all of these titles are 100% going to be removed. In fact, none of these titles were listed in the “official” leaving Netflix list given to outlets for March. With that said, it is likely at least some of these shows will be taken off.
Here’s a list of the titles scheduled for removal and once we’ve gone through that, we’ll discuss the BBC’s plans at the moment.
BBC titles scheduled for removal from Netflix on March 31st
- A Night on Earth: Africa (2 Episodes)
- Absolutely Fabulous (6 Seasons)
- ‘Allo ‘Allo! (9 Seasons)
- The Bear Family & Me (1 Season)
- Come Fly With Me (1 Season)
- David Attenborough’s Natural Curiosities (3 Seasons)
- The Doctor Blake Mysteries (3 Seasons)
- Elephant Family & Me (1 Season)
- Fawlty Towers (2 Seasons)
- Galápagos (1 Season)
- The Gorilla Family & Me (1 Season)
- The Great Rift: Africa’s Wild Heart (1 Season)
- The House of Cards Trilogy (3 Seasons )
- Lands of the Monsoon (1 Season)
- Life Below Zero (4 Seasons)
- Madagascar (1 Season)
- The Office (U.K.) (2 Seasons)
- The Polar Bear Family & Me (1 Season)
- The Royle Family (4 Seasons)
- Shark (2 Episodes)
- Shetland (3 Seasons)
- The Snow Wolf Family & Me (1 Season)
- South Pacific (1 Season)
- Spies of Warsaw (1 Season)
- Tribe, Animals & Me (1 Season)
- Yukon Gold (1 Season)
BBC titles scheduled for removal from Netflix on April 1st
- Luther (4 Seasons)
- Wallander (4 Seasons)
That’s a big list of titles with some massive losses potentially for Netflix. We’ve been waiting for new seasons of Luther and Shetland since their new seasons aired recently and if they aren’t removed, the new seasons likely coming to Netflix is then remote. Of course, Netflix could renew the shows with the new seasons.
Where will these BBC shows be streaming if they leave Netflix?
Should these titles get removed, there’s a number of places where they could end up next. Amazon in the past has stolen some BBC content from Netflix but the most likely scenario is that they end up on BritBox. BBC and ITV recently doubled down on BritBox with it arriving in the United Kingdom soon.
There you have it, that’s the current list of BBC shows scheduled for removal later in March and in early April 2019. Again, we must stress that this does not mean all these titles will go only that they’re up for renewal but history says you should probably watch these urgently before they leave.