Tralala! Captain Underpants is getting his own Netflix Original series a year after his first movie released into the cinemas. Below, we’ll summarise everything we know about the series including possible release dates, concept artwork, what books it’ll likely cover and everything else you should know before diving in.
As you may know, Captain Underpants comes from Dav Pilkey who introduced the character in his books that released throughout the 2000’s. Dreamworks picked up the rights to the books and has so far produced a full-fledged movie and is now producing a TV series set to release exclusively on Netflix later this year. The series was announced alongside more episodes of Trollhunters (coming in May), Harvey Street Kids, The Boss Baby (released last month), She-ra and 3 Below.
The movie released late last year and thanks to an exclusive deal (in the United States only) the movie arrived onto Netflix and is currently available to stream right now.
The series has been given the thumbs up by Captain Underpants creator!
Dave Pilkey on Instagram has written about his love for the series already. He states that he’s already binge-watched the first season and gives his royal stamp of approval.
So far, we only have confirmation of four voice actors.
- Nat Faxon as Captain Underpants/Mr. Krupp
- Jay Gragnani as Harold Hutchins
- Ramone Hamilton will be voicing George who was voiced by Kevin Hart in the movie. Ramone has featured in Will & Grace, Modern Family, Blaze and the Monster Machines and The Last Tycoon.
- Jay Gragnani will be voicing Harold who was voiced by Thomas Middleditch in the movie. Jay is most known for his 3-year stint in Bubble Guppies.
Why couldn’t they keep the movie actors? This is common as Dreamworks TV almost always uses different actors than the ones used in the movies. The reason for this is almost certainly down to budgets.
Season 1 Story
It’s been confirmed that the series will likely gravitate around the books it’s based on. There’s no shortage of content either with 12 novels from 1997 to 2015 available as well as countless spinoffs and activity books too.
Epic Tales of Captain Underpants Artwork
After we initially picked up some original concept art, we now have a better idea of what the series is going for. Much like other Dreamworks shows, it’s opted for the 2D artwork which makes sense, it’s cheaper to produce meaning we’ll likely get multiple seasons and fast. Most importantly, Netflix will be bringing the comic books to life in certain sections where it replicates the kids drawings from the books.
We’ve been given exclusive access to lots of new stills of the new Captain Underpants studio too. You’ll find them embedded below.
Is there a trailer for Epic Tales of Captain Underpants?
There are no trailers as of yet. However, the Netflix kids Youtube account has released the opening credits sequence which we’ve included below.
Season 1 Release Date
When the show was first announced as part of five other Dreamwork shows announcements, all of the shows mentioned would be releasing in 2018. Thanks to a rumor and subsequent announcement, we know that all episodes of season 1 will be arriving on Netflix on July 13th, 2018. It’ll arrive in all Netflix regions.
- Dav Pilkey (the author) serves as executive producer on the series.
- Other executive producers include Peter Hastings, Chris Prynoski and Shannon Barrett Prynoski.
- Jared Faber (Boss Baby: Back in Action) and Fred Kron (Yes Man, High School Musical 3) are providing music for the series.
- John T. Hill has been confirmed to be on the animation team. He’s worked on Sesame Street and Niko and the Sword of Light in the past.