Welcome to your first look at what’s coming to Netflix in August 2019 in the United States. It’s going to be a busy month full of Netflix Originals and licensed content on the way to Netflix as the summer begins to wind down.
On August 1st, it’s shaping up to be a nice month for new TV series with both The Sinner and Heartland returning for new seasons. We’ll also be getting two movies from Warner which are Clash of the Titans and Jupiter Ascending.
Licensed content is looking light in August as the vast majority of content is made up of Netflix Original projects. You have tentpole additions every Friday with plenty of foreign titles and smaller projects mixed in.
This month, because most titles will be unknown, we’ve gone through all the titles to give you a description of what each title is about. Let us know in the comments if you like the format.
Netflix has provided a juicy sizzle reel of what we can expect throughout August 2019 on Netflix US too.
Note: This doesn’t represent the full list of new releases as Netflix always gets new titles added daily not included in the monthly previews. We’ll be updating this post weekly to reflect changes in the lineup.
List last updated: 08/15/2019
What’s Coming to Netflix Weekly in August
- Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj (Volume 4) Netflix Original – The first episode of the next season of the political/current affairs show. New episodes every Sunday
- Designated Survivor: 60 Days (Season 1) Netflix Original – The Korean spinoff of Designated Survivor starring Kiefer Sutherland. New episodes every Monday.
- Rookie Historian Goo Hae-Ryung (Season 1) Netflix Original – Korean workplace period drama. New episodes every Wednesday.
Coming to Netflix on August 1st, 2019
- 3 Idiots (2009) – Indian Bollywood movie about two friends searching for their lost companion. Ranks in the top 100 movies on IMDb.
- Are We Done Yet? (2007) – A family comedy about a newlywed couple moving out to the suburbs.
- Boyka: Undisputed (2016) – The Fourth installment of a fighting franchise that follows Boyka who is aiming for the big league but his world is turned upside down after a death in the ring.
- Clash of the Titans (2010) – fantasy movie starring Sam Worthington about mythical Greek creatures and Liam Neeson shouting “Release the Kraken!”
- Darna Mana Hai – Indian horror/thriller about seven friends stranded and tells stories to pass the time.
- Ferrari Ki Sawaari (2012) – Indian comedy about a boy who has a dream about going to Lords in the UK.
- Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) – 90s rom-com hit starring Hugh Grant
- Grand Designs (Season 5) – British docu-series that looks at home building projects that are unique.
- Groundhog Day (1993) – The Bill Murray cult classic
- Heartland (Season 11) – Canadian drama series about a ranch that’s fallen on hard times.
- Horns (2013) – Daniel Radcliffe stars in this fantasy drama about a character who wakes up to find horns growing from his head
- Jackie Brown (1997) – A Tarantino classic
- Jupiter Ascending (2015) – Wachowski’s sci-fi hit starring Mila Kunis and Channing Tatum
- MI-5 (2015) – Kit Harrington stars in the BBC Spooks movie about a top-secret agent tracking down a terrorist threat. Think British Mission Impossible.
- Now and Then (1995) – 90s hit about four 12-year-olds growing up during an eventful summer in a small US town.
- Panic Room (2002) – Thriller that sees three men break into a house which homes a divorced woman and her daughter
- Rocky I, Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky IV, Rocky V – Every single Rocky movie back on Netflix
- Running out of Time (2018) – Budget thriller flick that sees Tasha Smith play a widow who is kidnapped along with her family
- Sex and the City: The Movie (1998) – The first movie based on the TV series of the same name
- Something’s Gotta Give (2003) – Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton star in this romantic comedy about a swinger who falls for someone closer to his age.
- The Bank Job (2008) – Jason Statham stars in this thrilling crime movie about a bank job that gets the robbers into even more trouble than just with the police.
- The Chef’s Line (Season 1) – Australian cooking show that sees home cooks compete against professional cooks.
- The House Bunny (2008) – Anna Faris stars as the Playboy bunny who has been expelled from the mansion and has to find a new job
- The Sinner (Season 2) – USA Network’s thriller about a new murder and the reluctant return of a detective to investigate.
- To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar (1995) – Three drag queens travel find themselves stranded in an unforgiving town after their car breaks down
- Wazir (2016) – Hindi action movie about a cop getting involved in a conspiracy with his amputee grandmaster
- Why Do Fools Fall in Love (1998) – The biopic of the true story of three women trying to get access to Frankie Lymon’s vast estate
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 2nd
- Ask the Storybots (Season 3) N – The newly acquired Netflix kids brand is back and will be taking big issues and condensing them for the little ones.
- Basket Ball of Nothing (Season 1) N – Docuseries following Chinle High basketball team and their ups and downs
- Dear White People (Volume 3) N – The third outing for Netflix’s reboot of the movie of the same name.
- Derry Girls (Season 2) N – The British comedy from Channel 4 returns for its long-awaited second season.
- Léa & I (2019) – Travel documentary that sees two best friends travel through Latin America
- Otherhood (2019) N – Comedy movie about three mothers visiting their grown-up kids in New York
- She-Ra and the Princess of Power (Season 3) N – The third season of the Dreamworks reboot kids series for Netflix
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 5th
- Enter the Anime (2019) N – Documentary introducing the anime genre to a complete novice with exclusive interviews
- No Good Nick (Part 2) N – Sean Astin’s sitcom returns for its second part of season 1 continues the story of Nick who tries to trick her new family
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 6th
- Professor Mack (2018) – A college professor struggles to know who to hook up
- Screwball (2018) – Documentary covering a steroid peddler explaining how he went from an unlicensed anti-aging expert to the point man for the biggest scandal in baseball history.
- Sebastian Maniscalco: Why Would You Do That (2016) – American stand-up special filmed at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 8th
- Dollar (Season 1) N – Middle-eastern drama about a man chasing down an elusive dollar bill worth up to a million
- Jane The Virgin (Season 5) The CW – The final season of the comedy series that has seen the coming of age of Jane
- Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer (2011) – Kids movie where a third-grader sets out to have the summer of a lifetime.
- The Naked Director (Season 1) N – Japanse biographical series about softcore film sub-genre Pinku
- St. Agatha (2018) – Horror set in the 1950s in a small town where a young pregnant woman takes refuge in a convent.
- Wu Assassins (Season 1) N – A new martial arts and crime thriller from Iko Uwais (The Raid) which is going to be action-heavy and our most anticipated debut series for August.
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 9th
- Cable Girls (Season 4) N – The Spanish period drama about women working in a call center switchboard comes to a close
- GLOW (Season 3) N – The Glorious Ladies of Wrestling are headed to Las Vegas in their third season outing
- iZombie (Season 5) The CW – The final season of the zombie comedy
- Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer (2011) – Kids movie about a third-grader setting out the most exciting summer of her life
- Rocko’s Modern Life: Static Cling (2019) N – It’s been a long wait but the Nickelodeon movie of the 90s hit Rocko’s Modern Life is finally coming to Netflix.
- Sintonia (Season 1) N – Portuguese drama series
- Spirit Riding Free: Pony Tales (Season 1) N – Dreamworks series spinoff
- The Family (Season 1) N – Docuseries following a journalist exposing a Christian organization with ties to the White House.
- The InBESTigators (Season 1) N – Family drama about a ten-year-old who forms a detective agency
- Tiny House Nation (Volume 1) – Reality series that looks at tiny houses and this will be a compilation series
- Westside vs. the World – The history of one of the world’s most notorious powerlifting gyms.
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 13th
- Calum von Moger: Unbroken (2019) – Documentary following the up and coming bodybuilder.
- Knightfall (Season 2) History Channel – The continuation of the drama series set during the final days of Knights Templar during the 14th century
- Tiffany Haddish Presents: They Ready (2019) – Stand-up comedy
- Woodstock (American Experience) – PBS documentary that looks at the famous concert 50 years on.
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 14th
- The 100 (Season 6) The CW – The sci-fi series that continues following the 100 sent to Earth to see if it’s fit for human life again
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 15th
- Cannon Busters (Season 1) N – After a couple of delays, we’re finally getting the anime series from LeSean Thomas.
- Sacred Games (Season 2) N – The biggest series yet from India returns for a thrilling second outing as the cast deals from the explosive ending of season 1.
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 16th
- 45 RPM (Season 1) N – Spanish romantic drama series involving music
- APACHE – La vida de Carlos Tévez (Documentary) Netflix Original – Follows the life of Carlos Teves, a world-renowned football player for Argentina
- Better Than Us (Season 1) N – Russian sci-fi series where a family takes receipt unknowingly of a killer android
- Diagnosis (Season 1) N – New York Times produced docu-series on rare medical conditions
- For Love or Money (2019) – Romantic comedy where a fiance sets out a plot to ruin a relationship
- Frontera verdev (Limited Series) N – Colombian crime drama
- Green Frontier (Season 1) – Colombian fantasy series
- Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus (2019) N – Netflix pickup from Nickelodeon
- Mindhunter (Season 2) N – We return to the FBI where agents are using new methods to get into the minds of serial killers
- QB1: Beyond the Lights (Season 3) N – Sports docuseries that follows three high school quarterbacks
- Self/less (2015) – Ryan Reynolds sci-fi thriller
- Sextuplets (2019) N – Marlon Wayans stars as multiple people in this comedy movie.
- Super Monsters Back to School
- The Little Switzerland (2019) N – Spanish political comedy movie
- Victim Number 8 (Season 1) N – Spanish TV thriller
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 17th
- The Punisher (2004) – The inferior version of The Punisher returns to Netflix
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 20th
- Gangs of New York (2002) – Movie set in 1862 about gangs in New York starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Cameron Diaz and Daniel Day-Lewis
- Simon Amstell: Set Free (2019) Netflix Original – British stand-up special
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 21st
- American Factory (2019) N – The first documentary from the Obamas that looks into the life of factory workers.
- Game Over (Hindi, Tamil, Telugu Version) – Horror time loop series where a video game designer confronts her fears
- Hyperdrive (Season 1) N – Motorsport reality series that sees elite street races race custom cars
- The Girl Allergic to Wi-fi – Filipino drama where a girl has to move to a remote town as she is made ill by Wi-fi signals.
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 22nd
- Love Alarm (Season 1) N – Korean rom-com series
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 23rd
- 13 Reasons Why (Season 3) N – The teen-drama sensation returns for a third outing looking for a new killer.
- El Pepe: Una vidasuprema (2018) N – Documentary that looks in Uraguay’s last president Jose Mujica
- HERO MASK (Part II) N – Anime series following detective James Blood investigating grisly crimes
- Mayday Life (2019) N – Korean pickup of the Life Tour concert from Mayday.
- Rust Valley Restorers (Season 1) N – Docuseries following unique car communities hidden in the Rocky Mountains
- The Congress (2013) – An aging, out-of-work actress accepts one last job, though the consequences of her decision affect her in ways she didn’t consider.
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 24th
- Fanatic (2019) – Thriller TV movie about a young rap star held against his will by a fan.
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 26th
- Dave Chappelle: Sticks & Stones (2019) N – Dave Chappelle’s latest standup special addressing gun culture, opioids and celebrity scandals.
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 27th
- Million Pound Menu (Season 2) BBC – Cooking reality series where contestants pitch their restaurant ideas
- The Good Place (Season 3) – The third season to the mind-bending NBC comedy series.
- Trolls: The Beat Goes On! (Season 7) N – Dreamworks series likely returns for its final time on Netflix
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 28th
- Droppin’ Cash: Los Angeles – Reality TV series that follows rich people spending lots of money.
- Locked Up (Season 3) – Spanish prison drama returns for its third outing.
- Travis Scott: Look Mom I Can Fly (2019) N – Documentary on the hip-hop sensation that covers Travis crafting his Astroworld album.
- Van Helsing (Season 3) – The SYFY series about hunting down vampires
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 29th
- Falling Inn Love (2019) N – Romantic comedy where a corporate exec inherits an inn and finds love with a contractor working on the project
- Kardec (2019) N – Set in 19th-century France about a professor who finds faith which paints a target on his back.
- Workin’ Moms (Season 3) N – CBC comedy import gets its third season added to Netflix one month after season 2
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 30th
- CAROLE & TUESDAY (Season 1) N – Anime series about two girls from different backgrounds sharing and making music
- Droppin’ Cash (Season 2) – Reality series about high rollers buying whatever they damn please.
- Feo pero sabroso – Colombian comedy
- La Grande Classe (2019) N – French movie on two friends attend their middle school reuinion hoping to flaunt their successes in life
- Locked Up (Season 3) N – Docuseries following prisoners in prisons across the US.
- Mighty Little Bheem (Season 2) N – Indian animated kids series
- Styling Hollywood (Season 1) N – A stylist and interior designer share their secrets
- The A List (Season 1) N – British thriller series about a holiday of a lifetime turned into a twisted nightmare
- The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Season 1) N – The series for the classic movie The Dark Crystal coming from the original creators.
- The Great British Bake Off (New Season) N – Weekly episodes of the British baking show are coming to Netflix
- True and the Rainbow Kingdom: Wild WildYetis N – Another spinoff to a popular Dreamworks series on Netflix.
What’s Coming to Netflix on August 31st
- Luo Bao Bei (Season 1) – South Korean kids series
We’ll keep this post updated as we hear of the new releases. Be sure to subscribe for email updates below and check out everything coming to Netflix in September 2019 too!